So I received some money for Christmas and I hate spending on myself so I put it away in a safe place while I decided what to do with it. We then had the back yard done and I had a brand new grill that I didn’t feel I could use to its full potential. I had also had my eye on trying some classes at Sur La Table at Kierland Commons and discovered that they were putting on a 3 day class that had been designed by Bobby Flay called Grill It. I booked this a good couple of months in advance so attended the first class here in Scottsdale, but it is being run through the Summer so please, I urge you, go ahead and sign up. I had a wonderful time, hence the reason I am writing about it. I am going to borrow the overview from Sur La Table explaining the class but I took a couple of pictures last night which have been on twitter so apologies if you have already seen them. I also apologise for the quality of the picture as they were taken on my phone.
“What You Will Learn:
He discovered his passion for food at the ripe age of 17, after taking a job as cook at the famous New York eatery Joe Allen’s. Since then, the versatile Flay attended The French Culinary Institute, has written nine critically-acclaimed cookbooks, opened several successful restaurants, and has become an in-demand celebrity chef on the likes of “Throwdown!, Iron Chef America, Boy Meets Grill” and more.
Now Flay has teamed up with Sur La Table to challenge the way we think about grilling. Although grilling remains a popular pastime, the secrets to getting professional-quality results remain a mystery for some, while more confident grillers just want new and exciting ideas for meals on the grill.
In this intensive grilling workshop you’ll:
- Transform your favorite fresh, seasonal ingredients into delicious and inventive meals hot off the grill
- Expand your grilling repertoire beyond burgers to include meats, fish, shellfish, vegetables—even dessert
- Learn essential grilling techniques like knowing when your grill reaches the right temperature, cooking with direct and indirect heat, and judging when your grilled foods are perfectly cooked
- Enhance the flavor of fresh ingredients with unique marinades, sauces, vinaigrettes, and rubs
- Learn to perfectly cook classic grilling favorites, like cheeseburgers, filet mignon, shrimp, scallops, and farm-fresh corn
- Discover new grilling techniques and essential tools to let you enjoy great grilled flavors year-round
- Uncover the secrets to getting professional-quality results on the grill every time
- And more!
Bonus: Each student receives a free autographed copy of Grill It! by Bobby Flay.
Class is only available as the three part series. Classes taught by Sur la Table Chefs; Bobby Flay will not be in attendance.
- Learn chef-tested techniques for grilling meat to perfection
- Maximize flavor using a variety of inventive rubs, marinades, and sauces
- Discover new and exciting flavor combinations featuring summer’s bounty
Session Two: Grilling Seafood
For session two we’ll move on to the sometimes-intimidating prospect of grilling seafood, and quickly put all your fears to rest.
- Unlock the pro’s secrets for perfectly grilled fish and shellfish
- Explore inventive grilling techniques and tools for maximum flavor
- Enhance the flavors of fish and shellfish with succulent sauces and glazes
- Create delicious and easy grilled fruit desserts
- Create amazing four-course meals right on the grill
- Bring out the freshness and flavor of the season’s best ingredients
- Learn delicious and unique twists on your favorite summer dishes”
Session One: Grilling Meat
Grilled Filet Mignon with Fig-Cabernet Vinegar Glaze – Basil-Rubbed Pork Chops with Nectarine-Blue Cheese Salad and Toasted Pine Nuts – Grilled Chicken Thighs with Green Olives and Sherry Vinegar-Orange Sauce – Perfectly Grilled Corn
Session Two: Grilling Seafood
Perfectly Grilled Shrimp with Smoked Chile Cocktail Sauce – Grilled Salmon with Miso-Orange Glaze – Grilled Scallops with Citrus Ginger Sauce and Rice Noodles – Grilled Bananas with Cinnamon Orange Sauce and Dulce de Leche Ice Cream
Session Three: Basics on the Grill
Grilled New Potato Salad with Bacon and Buttermilk Dressing – Green Chile Cheeseburgers – Grilled Zucchini with Fresh Dill Vinaigrette – Grilled Peaches with Crème Fraiche”
I had never done a class before so really didn’t know what to expect but I told John that I was glad I started with a 3 day class as, although I’m not a shy person, I felt more confident as the 3 days progressed. The Chef who ran the class was absolutely wonderful and he also had 3 assistants so there is always someone there to talk to. There are 16 people that take the class at a time and you work in groups of 4 making almost everything on the menu. I also received a 10% off coupon to use in store for the next week at Sur La Table so treated myself to a few items. The one I’m looking forward to using the most is my new Staub Grill Pan. I’ll let you know when I try out some of these recipes. Trust me, I’ll definitely be trying out a good half of them. I have now told John that I would like to find at least 1 class a month to do to have a little more time for me and learn some new kitchen skills…I mean who in this household is going to benefit the most from me doing the classes…John of course so it’s just as well he’s up for me trying them. My plan is to do the knife skills class next!